April 28, 2009

Donnybrook

Donnybrook - an uproar, brawl


Donnybrook is a district of Dublin, Ireland. It used to be the site of Donnybrook Fair. It began in 1204 when King John bestowed the eight-day event on the citizens to thank them for fortifying the city of Dublin. The fair became notorious for drunkenness and rowdiness giving rise to the word donnybrook. The fair was eventually banned in 1855, but the word stuck.


Usage example: .....the donnybrook on Capitol Hill over immigration.....


Sources: answers.com, http://www.donnybrooktennisclub.ie/content/info/history.jsp

5 comments:

Unknown said...

very interesting. hadnt heard of that before.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

nor had i till 2 days ago......had to do a hasty post here....as I could not let the word slip.

Jas B said...

New to me as well!

suramya said...

I had heard of donnybrook fair but I was not aware that the word itself was in use :)

AMIT said...

I have not heard of this.

Make website india